A delicious way to prepare your barbecued chicken, fast cooking and amazing taste! Because of the marinade, you will have to start 24 hours in advance.
For this recipe you will need:
- 1 chicken prepared in “Crapaudine”, find it here
For the marinade:
- 1 tsp of sweet paprika powder
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of powdered garlic
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 tbsp of cooking oil
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
For 3 cups the sauce:
- 2 cups of white vinegar
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp of Hot Sauce (Like Cholula, Texas Pete, Bulliard’s, Tabasco, El Yucateco, etc, etc…)*
- 1 tsp of salt
* I really don’t get any money from those guys (Unfortunately)… but I love hot sauce… 🙂
For the fire:
- One large handful of wood chips, this can be apple, peach, cherry or pear (fruit woods are milder and perfect for poultry)
- Charcoal briquettes for the fire ( A personal choice, they last longer and give a more homogeneous fire)
The previous day…
So you have prepared your flattened chicken or “Crapaudine” chicken, take all the ingredients of the marinade and mix them. Apply the marinade evenly and wrap the chicken in plastic food wrap, living it flat. Place overnight in the refrigerator.
This sauce can also be prepared the previous day, this will give you time to chill it. In a sauce pan, combine all the ingredients and bring to the boil, when boiling, reduce the fire and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. The sauce should have the thickness of Ketchup. Let it cool down and than place in the refrigerator overnight.
The day of the meal:
- Place the wood chips in water (they should be soaking for at least 30 minutes).
- Start the barbecue for a medium fire (between 350 and 450 degrees).
- Shake most of the water off the wooden chips and throw them evenly on the fire.
- Close the lid.
- When white smoke starts to appear, open the barbecue and place the chicken directly over the fire skin side up. Close the barbecue.
- Grill it for about 10 minutes, make sure your fire is not too high.
- 10 minutes are gone: open the barbecue and turn the chicken on the skin. place a probe thermometer inside the flesh of the leg. Cook for about 18 minutes, the internal temperature should be at about 160 degrees.
- When cooked, remove from the fire and serve with the sauce, some salad and some fries. (Or… with whatever you want 😉