Ah…. spring… time to get the best fruits and vegetables around, time for the fantastically versatile Rhubarb. Rhubarb is classified as a vegetable, is used in recipes like a fruit and is mentioned in herbs and roots books… but never mind it tastes good and that’s what we like. For this down to earth, no fuss, no muss recipe…
…You will need:
- The brioche dough from this recipe
For the Rhubarb jam:
- 10 ounces of rhubarb
- 1,5 cup of sugar (about 10 ounces) same weight as the pealed rhubarb
- 1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the topping and the cake form:
- 1,5 lbs of rhubarb
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 3 tbsp of unsalted butter, plus some for the form
- 1 tbsp of flour for the form
- 2 tbsp of brown cane sugar
The rhubarb jam:
- Wash than peel your 10 ounces of rhubarb and cut it in small 1 inch long pieces.
- Place you rhubarb in a bowl together with the sugar and the lemon juice and mix, leave it to rest for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, place the mix in a pan and cook at low fire until the liquid is golden brown and the rhubarb dismantles into fibres
- Let it cool down on the side.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Preparing the topping:
- Wash, peel and cut the 1,5 lbs of rhubarb
- Place the cut rhubarb in a bowl and sprinkle with the 2 tbsp sugar than mix.
Placing the dough in the form:
- Once you have made the dough according the Brioche dough recipe, butter a tart form, than sprinkle flour to cover the butter with a thin layer. Get rid of the excess flour.
- The dough is very elastic and it is not so easy to cover the whole base of the form, stretch it a bit more in order to do so. Cover the whole base of the form.
Putting the tart together:
- Once your dough covers the whole base of the form, apply a generous layer of jam. Leaving one inch without jam all around.
- Place the cut rhubarb on the top
- on top of the rhubarb add some little pieces of butter , the brown sugar and a bit more of the jam.
- Place in the oven for about 35 minutes
- There you go, you rhubarb tart from Easy French cooking is ready. The center of the tart will go down as it cools down, don’t worry that’s normal.
For me, this was another very tasty recipe, I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.